There is so much to do and see in Downtown Lawrence! Need a little help navigating the neighborhood? Finding a place to park? Need a restroom? Look no further – the answers are here!
- Where can I park? There are almost 1000 free parking spaces downtown as well as 2 hour meters, 10 hour meters and three parking garages with free and long term spaces. It costs $2 to park in the garages all day! Click here for the Parking Map that shows all of the different options.
- Where can I park for free? There are many free 2 hour spaces located in the lots on Vermont and New Hampshire Streets. There are also free 2 hour spaces on the main levels of all 3 parking garages.
- Are all the stores open at the same time? Store owners choose their own hours. Most are open by 9:30 or 10am and close anywhere from 5-7pm. Sundays most are open from 12-5pm. it’s always best to call or check a business’s website for exact hours.
- I need to use the restroom, where can I go? Some merchants limit use of their facilities to those who are making a purchase. City and county facilities are open to the public:
*Lawrence City Hall, 6 E. 6th St.
*Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
*Carnegie Building, 200 W. 9th St. (at corner of Vermont)
*Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St.
*Watkins Museum of History, 1047 Mass.
*Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Mass.
*Community Building, 11th & Vermont St.
* Lawrence Visitor’s Center, 812 Mass.
- I’m thirsty, where can I get a drink? There is a water fountain located at the mid-block crosswalk on each block. They are turned off in the winter.
- There is a parking space on the opposite side of Mass. Street, should I make a U-turn and take it? NO. that will result in a $150 ticket, and, you will notice that if you do try to take it, you won’t pull into the space correctly on your first try.
- Help, I received a parking ticket, what do I do? Fines may be paid with cash, check or money order at the Municipal Court office, One Riverfront Plaza, Lawrence, Kansas. The office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday. Payments and correspondence may be mailed to the Lawrence Municipal Court, P.O. Box 1695, Lawrence, Kansas 66044 OR pay online HERE
- Should I give $ to panhandlers? No. Lawrence has MANY services for those in need, most of which are located downtown. If you would like to contribute to community services for those in need you can make a donation in one of the Green meters on Mass. St. and those funds go directly to local programs and services.
- I lost my keys/phone/wallet! Is there a lost and found? We do not have a centralized lost and found BUT most store owners will post lost items on their Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages in hopes that the owner will see that. You are welcome to call our office at 785-842-3883 for assistance but we are not always notified when an item has been left behind.
- I need a ride home, who can I call? Jayhawk Taxi: 785-843-TAXI (8294) or Uber
- Where can I host an event? There are many Downtown locations that are great for events of any size. Visit our member business directory or give our office a call at 785-842-3883 for some recommendations.
- What is Downtown Lawrence, Inc. (DLI)? Downtown Lawrence, Inc. is a non-profit with the mission to preserve, protect & promote Downtown Lawrence as the retail, service & professional, governmental, entertainment and social center of our community. We support Downtown Lawrence businesses, promote community events and do lots to market and maintain Downtown. Our offices are located at 833 ½ Massachusetts. 785-842-3883 is our number, or reach us on the web at downtownlawrence.com.